A helpful resource in this recovery process might be our Negotiating the Networks guide. If you can't find what you are looking for give us a call.
Distribution Schedule for the 2015 Senior Farmers Market Nutrition (Vouchers) Program by the Luzerne /Wyoming Area Agency on Aging. Click on the heading above for the list.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a resident of Luzerne or Wyoming Co. –Proof of residence required.
- Be at least 60 years of age by December 31, 2015-Proof of age required.
- Meet income guidelines based on 2015 Total Household Income: (All income is included, i.e. Social Security, Black Lung, Pension, etc.) – Self declaration-no proof required.
1 person/household $21,775, 2 people/household $29,471, 3 people/household $37,167, 4 people/household $44,863.
1) Each qualifying individual is allowed only four (4) $5 vouchers per year.
2) Vouchers will not be sent out by mail.
SUMMER TIME FUN IN NEPA
CONTACT the local Visitor's Bureau's;
Bradford, Clinton, Columbia/Montour, Endless Mountain, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Lycoming, Pocono Mountains, Susquehanna River Valley, and Tioga.
VISIT a State Park
FAIR Time is now, click on Pennsylvania Fairs for a list of fairs.
To locate a Farmer's Market in Pennsylvania, click here, you can search by
the name of market or the county the market is located in or nearest to your address.
Warm weather means fair time, blow are links to fairs in our regions and the state web site that lists county fairs throughout Pennsylvania.
Northeast Fair, June 23 to 28, 2015
Lycoming County Fair, July 16 to 25, 2015
Troy Fair, July 27 to Aug. 1, 2015
Union County West End Fair Aug. 2 to 9. 2015
Wayne County Fair Aug. 7 to 15, 2015
Clinton County Fair, Aug. 8 to 15, 2015
Tioga County Fair, August 10 to 15, 2015
Montour-Delong Community Fair, Aug. 10 to 15, 2015
Harford Fair Aug. 17 to 22, 2015
Northumberland County Fair, Aug. 19 to 22, 2015
West End Fair Aug. 23 to 29, 2015
Greene-Dreher-Sterling Fair Aug. 28 to Sept. 7, 2015
Sullivan County Fair, Sept. 2 to Sept. 7, 2015
Wyoming County Fair, Sept. 2 to Sept. 7, 2015
Luzerne County Fair, September 3 to 7, 2015
McClure Bean Soup Festival & Fair Sept. 13 to 19, 2015
Beaver Community Fair Sept. 20 to 26, 2015
Bloomsburg Fair, Sept. 26 to Oct. 3, 2015
PA Fairs contains info and links to county fairs in Pennsylvania.
Nepal Earthquake Aid
Below are some of the organizations that are providing relief services to the people of Nepal recovering from the recent earthquake"
The PA Bureau of Charitable Organization’s web site maintain registration and financial information on over 9,500 charities soliciting in the Commonwealth, as well as 377 professional solicitors and fundraising counsels. Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance reports on charities and other organizations that solicit nationally. If you do not see a particular national charity on this list, feel free to ask them about it.
Storm information and preparedness.
For the latest weather warnings for the NEPA area, click here. Click on your county for the latest warnings and watches.
10 Digit Dialing Started on Sept. 21, 2013
The Public Utility Commission says customers within the 570 area code will
have to dial the area code plus the phone number beginning September 21. Starting on Oct. 21, 2013 a new area code 272 will be used in the same area as the 570 area code. In order to complete a call you need to dial the area code along with the number no matter what area code you are dialing. Your home phone may have a 570 area code and your new cell phone can have a 272 area code. Starting Sept. 21 all calls need to include the area code or they will not be completed.
Help Line is updating our resources for a new database. If you want to be listed check our Inclusion/Exculsion criteria to determine your eligibilty for our database. Then read and follow the directions for the Agency, Program and Service Llistings.
Juvenile Court Information
As a result of some of the past issues involving the juvenile court in Luzerne County a number of resources have been developed to make negotating the juvenile system easier. The Guide to Juvenile Court is a resource that is can be helpful in any county, the Targeted Resouce Directory lists resources for Luzerne County. The PA Commission on Crime & Delinquincy has announced programs that have recieved money from the Mericle Fund/Programs to Benefit Children of Luzerne County. For a list of programs click on this link for Mericle Funds.
In this economic climate, sometimes you need some assistance. There is often help available but you need to know where to turn. You can call Help Line twenty four hours a day for the latest information on available programs, or download this Guide to Negotiating the Networks for assistance.
Public Alert System
Luzerne County has launched a new public alert system that will send text messages and e-mails to residents regarding emergencies and weather warnings.
In addition to severe weather updates, the system will be used to send information alerts such as missing children, Susquehanna River conditions, emergency conditions at the PPL Susquehanna nuclear power plant in Salem Township and emergencies related to Marcellus Shale gas wells throughout the county.
To sign up for the alert notification service, go to https://luzerne.alertpa.org
2-1-1 is an easy-to-remember three-digit phone number that brings people and services together.
The essence of 2-1-1 is in its simplicity:
- 2-1-1 is for everyone and can be remembered by everyone.
- 2-1-1 is free and confidential.
- 2-1-1 makes the entire human services sector at every level of government work more efficiently.
- 2-1-1 has proven itself time after time as an invaluable resource in the aftermath of a disaster.
- 2-1-1 is the number to call to give help and to get help.
View a news story from WBRE on 2-1-1.
Additional information can be found at 2-1-1.
The PA Turnpike conditions can be reached at 1-800-331-3414, then choosing Option #2, then Option #92. The latest web information for the Turnpike can be found here.
Latest recall information from the FDA and Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Program all emergency and family contact information into your phone.
- Have a communications plan. Designate someone outside the area as a central contact.
- Keep batteries charged at all times, keep available extra batteries or a car charger in cases of extended power outages.
- Keep your phone dry and out of the elements.
- Forward your home number to your cell phone. Forwarding is done from the telephone companies central office, so your calls can be forwarded even if your land line is out of order.
- Use text messaging, which often will go through more quickly than a voice call.
- Keep non-emergency calls to a minimum and limit calls to the most important ones.
Red Cross Blood Drives
Donor Site - Luzerne County
NEPA Region Blood Services
Donor Site - Lackawanna County
208 Meadow Ave., Scranton
For latest blood donation information, check Red Cross NEPA Region Blood Services.
Geisinger Blood Center
For the latest blood donation site information and to make an appointment click here.